4 children were killed in a mine explosion in Hodeidah

Four children between the ages of 10 and 15 were killed by a mine explosion in the Yemeni city of Hodeidah, which is under the control of the Houthi terrorist militia in the west of the country, a medical source and father of two of the le victims told AFP today, Friday.

The medical source, who is the director of a hospital, said the incident occurred yesterday, Thursday, when the children walked on dirt in the south of the city, near Hodeidah airport overlooking the Red Sea. , where mines are a permanent threat to the population.

The source explained: “The number of children is seven and they were walking in one direction, three in front, one behind them and three behind them. The three children walking in front died of one of them being hit by a mine, while the child walking behind them alone was injured and was carried in hospital and died there. “.

He added that the remaining three children were not harmed, noting that the ages of those who died were 10, 13, 14, and 15.

Yahya Abdullah, the father of two children who died in the accident, said: “The children went out in the morning while their parents slept and entered. in dusty areas. The surviving children came and told us about the accident, so I went to find one of my two sons who was injured, but alive, while his brother died. “

“I covered his stomach after he was hit by a splinter in the stomach and took him in hospital, but he died in operating room, “he added.

The conflict in Yemen since 2014 is among the Houthis, who control Sanaa and other areas in the north and west of the country, and government forces backed by a Saudi-led military coalition. The war has caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people directly or because of its repercussions, according to the United Nations.

The rebels control Sanaa and most of northern Yemen, including the city of Hodeidah on the Red Sea coast, which includes a port that is a lifeline for millions of residents in the Houthi areas.

In early June, the United Nations announced that 19 civilians had been killed and 32 injured during the truce in force in Yemen since April, mainly due to mines, IEDs or unexploded devices.