Philippine Interior Minister Benjamin Abalos announced Wednesday in a televised press conference that a massive earthquake in the north of the country killed four people and injured 60 others.
“We are still facing aftershocks. We have received reports of damage to homes, but so far there are no casualties,” said Rovilene Villamor, mayor of Lagangelang in Abra County. The office media of the region posted images showing badly damaged buildings on its Facebook page.
According to the Geological Survey, the quake occurred at a depth of 10 km. The US agency said that the epicenter of the earthquake is located about 11 kilometers southeast of Dolores, residents of the capital, Manila, also felt the earthquake. The city’s metro network suspended service during rush hour after the earthquake, the Transport Ministry said.