The Lebanese army arrested 9 people, including a Syrian, after clashes in the Tayouneh – Badaro area in the capital, Beirut, today, Thursday.
In a statement, the army said its forces have strengthened its deployment in thearea and conducted patrols, noting that investigations were initiated with detainees under the supervision of the competent judiciary.
He also added that “the army command has made contact with interested parties on both sides to contain the situation and prevent a shift towards sedition”.
The army command also reiterated that it will not tolerate any militants, while its units continue to deploy in thearea to prevent new clashes.
Aoun is committed to being accountable
For his part, President Michel Aoun said the violence in Beirut was “unacceptable”, pledging to hold the perpetrators and instigators accountable.
Aoun said today in a televised speech: “We will not allow anyone to take in hostage Lebanon for its own interests, and we will not allow what happened today to happen again in no circumstances “.
He also added that the clashes that have taken place will be subject to security and judicial checks.
Reminds me of the civil war
For his part, former Prime Minister Saad Hariri said today’s violence in Beirut brought back memories of the civil war.
Hariri today called on the army and police to take maximum measures and measures to prevent all forms of shooting, arrest armed men and protect civilians.
Clashes, displacements and deaths
Interestingly, Beirut experienced the impact of violence on Thursday that brought to mind the specter of sectarian fighting, especially after the clashes that broke out between the areas of Chiyah and Ain al-Rummaneh, which in previously formed a line of contact during the civil war (1975-1990).
L’area Tayouneh, near Beirut’s courthouse, experienced a massive displacement of residents, according to the official news agency, after 6 people were killed and more than 30 injured, according to an initial toll announced by the health ministry.
At the same time, the army deployed heavily in thearea in an attempt to stem the violence that broke out as early as 12 noon, after supporters of the Amal movement and Hezbollah protested in front of the Palace of Justice against the judicial investigator in Beirut port explosion case, judge Tariq Bitar. rapidly deteriorated in followed and transformed in shootings, bullets and bullets.
Armed men from the two parties paraded their heavy weapons on the outskirts of Beirut, while snipers were deployed on the roofs of the houses.
Accusations between Hezbollah and the “forces”
While Hezbollah and the Amal Movement accused “groups of the Lebanese Forces Party” of shooting and live bullets in the heads of protesters by their supporters, the Party of Forces felt that its accusation was totally rejected and aims to deflect the protest. attention from “Hezbollah” Invasion of this region and other areas in previous eras.
The Forces Party also pointed out that the clashes that took place today are simply facing justice with the same revolutionary logic and the use of weapons, intimidation, violence and force to bring down the investigation path into the Beirut port explosion. .
Interestingly, Judge Tariq Bitar has been subjected to a Hezbollah-led lobbying campaign in recent days to oppose his summoning of former ministers and security forces for questioning as part of the investigation he is conducting, which included requests for its removal.
Read More About: World News