Duterte says he met will retire in instead of seeking the Vice-Presidency

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines said: on Saturday that he met would retire in instead of pursuing the vice presidency next year, in a surprising reversal of a plan meant to keep him in national politics after his presidential term ends.

The Philippine Constitution limits presidents to a single, six-year term. But Mr. Duterte had… announced that he would run for deputy director in the May elections, and are former Chief aide, Senator Christopher Lawrence Go, was expected to seek the presidency.

On Saturday, Mr. Go papers though in in which he stated that he, and not Mr. Duterte would do that run for deputy director. Mr Duterte then raised Mr Go’s hand in An show of unit.

Referring to opinion polls die indicated: public against his plan, Mr Duterte said that “in obedience to the will of the people, who after all I have placed myself in the presidency many years ago, I now tell my compatriots that I will follow your wishes.”

“Today I announce my retirement. Thank you all,” he said. He did not indicate that he intended to… step down before the end of to be term next June.

Mr Duterte’s announcement seemed to leave the field open for are popular daughterSara Duterte-Carpio, who previously said she would be alone run for president like her father dropped out of the race. Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao has also announced his candidacy for The Presidency.

Last month, the International Criminal Court authorized full research in Mr Duterte’s Bloody War on medicines, die has left thousands of people dead since he took office in 2016. Mr. Duterte’s critics in the Philippines saw his plan to seek the vice presidency, with a close ally as president, as a way to stay in power and shield itself from persecution.

Mr Go once said that he had promised to serve Mr Duterte “as long as he lives”. On Saturday he said he was running for vice president “to continue met the programs for real change initiated by President Duterte.”

mr. Go didn’t apologize for the drug war, in thousands of whom have been shot down by police officers and vigilantes, ostensibly because they were involved with drugs. “Let the public judge of their children feel safer now with less addicts and crime on the streets,” said Mr. Go.

Read More: World News

Source

Denial of any Responsibility!
AsumeTech is a News Source that Publishes News from its Editorial Team and the Automatic News Aggregation around the News Media. All the Aggregated Content you find on our site is available freely over the Internet; each piece of Content includes the hyperlink to its Primary Source. We have just arranged that in our platform for Educational Purposes only. All the Copyrights and Trademarks belong to their Rightful Owners and all Materials to their Authors. If you are the Content owner and do not want us to publish your materials on our Website, please get in touch with us by email – [email protected]; we will remove the Content from our Website.

Leave a Reply