Explosion in Istanbul.. Bulgaria accuses 5 suspects

Bulgaria’s prosecutor’s office announced on Saturday it had indicted five suspects after the Nov. 13 attack in Istanbul, which authorities blamed on Kurdish fighters from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and their allies in Syria.

“Five people are accused of helping” one of the alleged perpetrators to flee Turkey, a spokeswoman for the Sofia prosecutor’s office, Sika Mileva, told AFP.

The spokeswoman also said that the role of the defendants in Bulgaria was “logistical”.

Local TV channels reported that three of them were from Moldova and another from an unspecified Arab country.

A Turkish court has ordered the jailing of 17 suspects in pending process in relation to the attack in Istanbul, accusing them of undermining the unity and integrity of the country, premeditated murder and attempted murder, Turkey’s Anadolu Agency reported on Friday.

The court released three more suspects in awaiting trial. He also ordered the expulsion from Turkey of 29 people arrested by the police in relation to the attack.

The blast, which occurred on November 13, targeted bustling Istiklal Street, lined with shops and restaurants, and killed six people, including two children. More than 80 others were injured in the blast.

Turkish authorities attributed the blast to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), as well as affiliated Syrian Kurdish groups. Kurdish groups have denied any role.

The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) leads an armed insurrection in Turkey since 1984. Since then the conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives.

Read More About: World News