Guinea military consolidates takeover, opposition leader signals openness to transition

CONAKRY, September 7 (Reuters) – Guinea main opposition leader said: on Tuesday he was open for participation in a transition after a military coup d’état over the weekend, when the soldiers who in taken into custody power their acquisition consolidated.

West African countries have threatened met sanctions after the overthrow of Chairman Alpha Conde, who served a third term after amending the constitution to allow it.

To be opponents said the change was illegal and the frustration was boiling over go inside deadly protests last year. Eighty political prisoners held by Conde’s government, including a number who had campaigned against his third term, were released on Tuesday night, said Hamidou Barry of the Guinean organization of Human rights.

Regional leaders will meet to over guinea to talk on Wednesday – not Thursday, as suggested in a previous employee note.

Coup leader Mamady Doumbouya, a former officer in the French Foreign Legion, has promised a transition period government of national unit and a “new era for governance and economic development But he has not yet explained exactly what this means, of given a timeline.

guinea’s main Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, told Reuters on Tuesday he had not yet consulted over transition, but was ready to participate.

“We would send representatives, why not, to participate in the process of bringing the land back to the constitutional order,” said Diallo, a former prime minister who finished runner-up to Conde in three consecutive elections, most recently last October.

Sunday’s uprising in die Conde and other top politicians were detained of travel was banned, is the third since April in West and Central Africa, worries over a slide back until military rule in An region that had made steps towards multi-party democracy since the 1990s.

Conakry was calm for An second day after the putsch, with some military checkpoints removed. Traffic was normal on Tuesday in the administrative center of the capital, the Kaloum Peninsula.

Special forces members take position in during an uprising die led to the overthrow of chairman Alpha Conde in Kaloum . district of Conakry, Guinea September 5, 2021. REUTERS/Saliou Samb/File Photo

Moving to Consolidate Their power, the soldiers die led the coup have installed army officers at the top of The eight regions of Guinea and various administrative districts.

BAUXITE

The coup sparked concern over the deliveries of bauxite, de main aluminum ore, from Guinea, a leading producer.

The benchmark aluminum contract on the London Metal Exchange remained in near a 10-year high on Monday.

Mines, however, have not reported any outage. Stands-run Chinese aluminum producer Chalcos (601600.SS), bauxite project in Guinea said it was operating normally.

The in Australia Listed Bauxite and Gold Exploration Companies Lindian Resources (LIN.AX) and polymetallic sources (POLAX) also said on Tuesday that their operations remained unaffected.

The Kremlin said it was monitoring the political situation closely and hoped that Russian business interests, including three large bauxite mines and one alumina refinery, would not suffer.

During his decade in power, Conde guided Guinea through economic growth, but unemployment remained high.

Surveys by Afrobarometer suggest the majority of Guineans think the level of corruption has increased, while discontent with the economy and personal living conditions also got up.

Diallo said corruption became endemic under Conde.

“An elite die has enriched himself” in a cheeky one way, while poverty was rising and the country’s infrastructure crumbled. There was also An general malaise in the country,” he said.

Additional reporting by Hereward Holland and Bate Felix Editing by Kevin Liffey and Grant McCool

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Read More: World News

Source

Denial of any Responsibility!
AsumeTech is a News Source that Publishes News from its Editorial Team and the Automatic News Aggregation around the News Media. All the Aggregated Content you find on our site is available freely over the Internet; each piece of Content includes the hyperlink to its Primary Source. We have just arranged that in our platform for Educational Purposes only. All the Copyrights and Trademarks belong to their Rightful Owners and all Materials to their Authors. If you are the Content owner and do not want us to publish your materials on our Website, please get in touch with us by email – [email protected]; we will remove the Content from our Website.

Leave a Reply