His confession was extracted under duress. The perpetrator of the massacre of two New Zealand mosques appeals against his imprisonment

A white supremacist who killed 51 faithful in two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch in March 2019 filed an appeal against life imprisonment, a spokesman for the judiciary said Tuesday.

It was the worst mass shooting in New Zealand history.

Chris Abraham, spokesman for the Court of Appeals, told Reuters that in no date has been set for an appeal hearing at this stage.

Brenton Tarrant was sentenced in 2020 to life in prison without parole for the murder of 51 people and the attempted murder of 40 others in two mosques in Christchurch, the largest city on New Zealand’s South Island.

It was the first time that a New Zealand court had sentenced a person to life in prison.

In November 2021, Tarrant’s attorney at the time, Tony Ellis, said his client was considering an appeal, adding that his guilty plea had been forced. In a reply via Email on Tuesday, Ellis told Reuters he no longer represented Tarrant.

Tarrant, an Australian citizen, stormed the two mosques and fired indiscriminately with a semi-automatic weapon at Muslims who gathered for Friday prayers, broadcasting the killings. in directed using a camera attached to his head.

Read More About: World News