As expected Apple said in a press release that iOS 16.1, along with iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura, will come out on Monday, October 24.
iOS 16.1 adds at least eight new features for iPhone users, such as iCloud Shared Photo Library and support for Live Activities in third-party apps on the App Store. It also fixes a few bugs. Below, we’ve listed all of the new features in iOS 16.1 and given you the full release notes for the update before it comes out next week.
iCloud Shared Photo Library
With iCloud Shared Photo Library, you can share photos with family and friends in the Photos app more easily. You and up to five other people will be able to add, change, or remove pictures from a shared library that you can access through iCloud.
Live Activities for Third-Party Apps
With iOS 16.1, third-party apps in the App Store can now use Live Activities. The feature lets iPhone users keep track of real-time events, like a sports game or a food delivery order, right on the Lock Screen or in Dynamic Island.
Live Activities show up at the bottom of the Lock Screen on the iPhone 13 and earlier models, as well as on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus. When the iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max is unlocked, Live Activities show up in Dynamic Island. When the device is locked or in always-on display mode, Live Activities show up on the Lock Screen.
Clean Energy Charging
Apple says that a new feature in iOS 16.1 called “Clean Energy Charging” is meant to “reduce the iPhone’s carbon footprint by optimizing charging times for when the grid is using cleaner energy sources.” Only people in the U.S. can use this feature.
With iOS 16.1, iPad 16.1, and tvOS 16.1, iPhone users who don’t have an Apple Watch can use Apple Fitness+. Without an Apple Watch, iPhone users can’t see things like their heart rate and calories burned in real-time while they work out.
When Apple Fitness+ came out in December 2020, it will have a library of more than 3,000 workout and meditation videos, with new videos being added every week. The paid service is available in 21 countries through the Fitness app on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. In the U.S., it costs $9.99 a month or $79.99 a year.
Matter Home App Accessories
iOS 16.1 has support for Matter, a soon-to-be-released connectivity standard that will make it possible for smart home accessories that are compatible with Apple’s HomeKit, Amazon’s Alexa, and Google’s Home to work together smoothly across multiple platforms.
To use the Home app and Siri to control Matter accessories, you’ll need a HomePod, a HomePod mini, an Apple TV 4K, or an Apple TV HD running as a home hub.
Apple Card Savings Account
Starting with iOS 16.1, Apple Card users will be able to open a new “high-yield” savings account from Goldman Sachs and have their Daily Cash cashback rewards automatically put into it. There are no fees, minimum deposits, or minimum balance requirements. In the Wallet app, users will be able to handle their savings accounts.
Help for Dynamic Island’s Accessibility
With iOS 16.1, the Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro models now works with Reachability. This makes it easier to use with one hand.
Reachability is a feature that you can choose to use. It lowers the top half of the screen so you can reach it with your fingers. In the Settings app, you can turn on the feature by going to Accessibility > Touch > Reachability. To use the feature, just drag it down on the screen’s bottom edge. Tap the upper half of the screen to go back to the normal view.
Key Sharing in Wallet App
With iOS 16.1, you can share car keys, hotel room keys, and other keys that are stored in the Wallet app in a safe way through messaging apps like Messages and WhatsApp.
iOS 16.1 Release Notes
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
- Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared
- Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live Activities from third party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing enables you to securely share car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
- Savings account enables Apple Card customers to grow their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high yield savings account
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
- New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- – Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
- – Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
- – CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app