Kris Bryant might need to wait a bit longer to be paid.
The Cubs’ 28- year-old 3rd baseman won’ t be striking totally free company after the 2020 season, however rather after2021 Per ESPN’s Jeff Passan, Bryant will lose his grievance after a four-year wait to get his service time circumstance determined.
MORE: Spring training reporting dates for all 30 MLB teams
Here’s what you need to learn about Bryant’s circumstance with the Cubs:
Kris Bryant grievance
After his 2015 Novice of the Year season, the star 3rd baseman submitted a grievance, declaring that the Cubs controlled his service time, keeping him from accumulating a year of service time in his novice year. He was kept in the minors the first 2 weeks of the significant league season, nullifying his capability to reach the required 172 days of service time to get a season.
Had Bryant reached 172 days of service time in 2015, he would have struck totally free company after the 2020 season. Rather, with 171 days of service time, he won’ t struck totally free company till after the 2021 season, hence offering the Cubs an additional year of control for his services.
What’s next for Cubs, Kris Bryant?
Fortunately is that both Bryant and the Cubs settled on a wage number for 2020, so an arbitration hearing won’ t be required. Bryant and the Cubs settled on a 1 year, $186 million agreement previously in January.
However there are a couple of choices for Chicago within the next 2 years when it pertains to Bryant’s services:
- The Cubs might smarten up, provide to keep Bryant and provide him a reasonable extension, purchasing out his staying year of arbitration and possibly some free-agent years. Even with a couple of irregular years, Bryant is still a fantastic skill and going into the prime of his profession. Bryant, a Scott Boras customer, most likely won’ t accept an extension ahead of time, unless it’s something really juicy.
- The Cubs might ride it out with Bryant over the next 2 years– arbitration eligible through 2021, striking totally free company after that season– while they make a run at a World Series because period.
- Due to the fact that this definitively locks in Bryant’s worth– 2 years of control in between 2020-2021– it strengthens his trade worth. The Cubs might choose to trade him if they’re out of the race this year or this upcoming offseason if they (confusingly) choose not to invest money on him. There’s quickly a market for him.
Kris Bryant trade reports
Well, these are going to inescapable, so here are some quick-n-dirty trade targets who might make a run at Bryant:
- Rangers: They’re opening a brand-new ballpark and have lots of appealing pieces in the farm system to make that relocation. It would likewise be enjoyable seeing Bryant and Joey Gallo mash baseballs in the exact same lineup.
- Braves: A great deal of Atlanta’s top-tier skill is near the significant league level, which would definitely captivate the Cubs, who likely do not wish to go through a full- on reconstruct in the coming years.
- Yankees: The Yankees presently have a third-base logjam (Gio Urshela, Miguel Andujar), so why unclear that up by generating among the leading 3rd basemen? They have the trade capital to do it, too.
- Nationals: The Nationals and Cubs reportedly had discussions about Bryant, so this news might revive the talks.
More on possible Kris Bryant landing areas here.