Marvel Celebrates 10th Anniversary of Star Wars: Rebels with Variant Covers
Marvel is joining in on the excitement surrounding the beloved animated series Star Wars: Rebels as it approaches its 10th anniversary in 2024. To commemorate this cultural moment, Marvel will release a series of variant covers for Star Wars and Star Wars: Darth Vader next year. These stunning covers are all illustrated by Caspar Wijngaard, who expressed his gratitude for participating in this anniversary celebration.
About Star Wars: Rebels
Star Wars: Rebels was an animated series that aired on Disney XD from 2014 to 2018. It followed the adventures of the crew of the Ghost, a group of smugglers who also fought against the oppressive Galactic Empire whenever they could. Over time, the crew transitioned from being a standalone group to becoming an integral part of the Rebellion against the Empire, ultimately joining the larger Alliance to Restore the Republic. The series took place five years before the events of the first Star Wars film and provided continuity with The Clone Wars animated series, continuing the story of Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker’s former Jedi apprentice.
The crew of the Ghost consisted of Hera Syndulla, a skilled pilot, and her trusty astromech droid, Chopper. Kanan Jarrus, a former Jedi apprentice, played a crucial role in training the young Ezra Bridger, a talented thief with a strong connection to the Force. Sabine Wren, a Mandalorian warrior, and Zeb Orrelios, a survivor from a planet devastated by the Empire, completed the crew. Together, they faced off against formidable foes such as the Grand Inquisitor and Imperial Agent Kallus, eventually coming face-to-face with their most dangerous adversary, Grand Admiral Thrawn, who made a popular return to the Star Wars canon.
The Star Wars: Rebels Anniversary Covers
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Star Wars: Rebels, Marvel will release a series of variant covers featuring key characters from the show. Here are some of the cover highlights:
- Star Wars #42: The cover showcases the series’ first major villain, The Grand Inquisitor.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader #42: Kanan Jarrus and Zeb Orrelios take the spotlight.
- Star Wars #43: Captain Hera Syndulla, who becomes a General by the end of the series, is featured prominently.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader #43: The cover highlights Grand Admiral Thrawn, a major part of Disney’s upcoming plans for Star Wars properties.
- Star Wars #44: Ahsoka Tano, the former Jedi and fan-favorite character, is showcased.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader #44: The cover spotlights Ezra Bridger, the main character who evolves into a Jedi throughout Star Wars: Rebels. He made his return in the Ahsoka series.
- Star Wars #45: Sabine Wren, the Mandalorian warrior training to become a Jedi in the Ahsoka series, graces the cover.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader #45: The cover features Agent Kallus, the Imperial agent turned Rebel.
These breathtaking variant covers pay homage to the beloved characters of Star Wars: Rebels and serve as a reminder of the impact the series continues to have on the Star Wars universe.