I like stories about cool baseball games or historical minutes, however more than that, I like knowing– or relearning– things about the event that aren’t always the main point, the things the majority of people have actually long forgotten.
Many baseball fans remember Kerry Wood’s skillful 20- strikeout efficiency versus the Astros on May 6, 1998, or a minimum of understand about it since it was a historical day at Wrigley as Wood ended up being simply the second pitcher in history to fan 20 batters in a 9-inninggame (The other pitcher was Roger Clemens, who did it in 1986 and once again in 1996.)
MORE: 10 single-season MLB accomplishments we’ll never ever see once again
The finer information of the game produce some quite cool trivia by themselves, too, so I assemble a list of 20 other realities about this game that you might not remember or perhaps understand. Enjoy.
1. May 6, 1998, was simply Wood’s 5th MLBstart He went into the game with a 5.89 AGE, having actually enabled 15 hits and 12 strolls through his first 4 games.
2. Wood’s first pitch of the game struck umpire Jerry Meals right in the mask.
3. The Astros’ lineup included 2 future Hall of Famers in their primes: Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell.
4. Astros pitcher Shane Reynolds likewise pitched a total game that day; he “only” started out 10 in 8 innings, while enabling 8 hits, however …
5. Among Reynolds’ 10 strikeouts was Wood, who decreased searching in the 3rd.
6. The teams’ 30 combined strikeouts set an NLrecord (It was broken in 2015 by the Mets and Nationals, who integrated for 35 strikeouts in a Max Scherzer no-hitter.) Connected to that …
7. While the wind wasn’t an aspect that day at Wrigley, the teams’ 20 integrated swinging strikeouts– and 45 overall swings and misses out on– supplied rather a breeze.
8. Mentioning swings and misses out on, Wood had a 19.6 swinging strike rate that day, which … wow.
9. The game just lasted 2 hours and 19 minutes. In spite of all those pitches from Wood (122) and Reynolds (116), and all those baserunners for the Cubs, the 2 teams handled to play a full game in what now appears like a stunning screen of brevity.
10 Of Wood’s 122 pitches, just 38 were balls. That’s 69 percent strikes.
11 Although the Cubs were on their method to a playoff season, and although day baseball at Wrigley has actually constantly been a big handle Chicago, and although it was an enjoyable 71 degrees, the paid presence was just 15,758 about 106,000 will declare to have actually been there.
12 Every gamer who concerned bat for the Astros that day started out a minimum of when. …
13 Just Biggio prevented starting out severaltimes Provided Wood’s supremacy, that details most likely needs to’ve gone on Biggio’s plaque in Cooperstown.
14 Wood’s supremacy appeared from the start, however there was never ever actually much drama about a no-hitter or bestgame He enabled a struck to Ricky Gutierrez in the 3rd. He likewise struck Biggio with a pitch in the 6th. No other baserunners.
15 In between the 2 teams, the first 8 batters of the game started out. The breakdown: 7 swinging, one looking.
16 The Astros were never ever actually out of the game, a minimum of on the scoreboard. They even put a runner on 3rd in the 3rd, after Gutierrez’s hit, a sacrifice bunt and a Wood balk. It didn’t matter.
17 The middle of the Astros’ lineup– Bagwell, Jack Howell and Moises Alou– went a combined 0 for 9 with 9 strikeouts. That’s a great deal of power rendered inefficient. What? Do not believe Howell counts as a power bat? Well, he did when struck a damaged-bat homer.
18 Future MLB manager Brad Ausmus was Houston’s catcher that day. He just started out two times.
19 Wood went into the ninth inning with 18 strikeouts and a chance to break the all-time single-gamerecord When he fanned Expense Spiers to start the inning, he got more detailed. Then Biggio grounded out, destroying a chance at uber-history Hall of Famers are so annoying.
20 Wood’s Game Score– a just-for-fun stat created by Expense James– was 105, the highest in MLBhistory Yes, greater than any no-hitter or bestgame This belongs to the reason I preserve that no-hitters aren’t constantly what they’re split up to be.
Reward: Wood’s historical win on May 6 was his only total game and just nothing of the season.
The remainder of the story
Wood made the 1998 Astros look bad on May 6, however they were a heck of a greatteam They ended up with 102 wins and won the NL Central by 12 1/2 games over the Cubs. As a team, their non-pitchers slashed.289/.367/.453 for the year. This makes Wood’s historical accomplishment all the more outstanding.
Wood’s 1998 season successfully peaked with his 20- strikeout game (how could it get any much better?), however he kept that peak enough time to win the NL Novice of the Year award after ending up 13 -6 with a 3.40 AGE and 233 strikeouts in 166 2/3innings It was certainly an outstanding start to an appealing profession. Wood then missed out on all of 1999 with an injury. He recovered from 2001 through 2003– even making an All-Star team — however eventually health problems restricted his efficiency and he left the Cubs’ rotation for great after the 2006 season. He ended up being an All-Star more detailed in 2008 prior to proceeding to bullpen functions with the Indians and Yankees.
He completed his profession back with the Cubs in 2011 and 2012, making 3 wins and one conserve in 65 looks over the 2 seasons. Wood’s final MLB look came May 18, 2012, when he went into the game in relief versus the White Sox and dealt with one batter– and, properly, struck him out on 3 pitches. Yes, in great times and bad, through injuries and altering functions, strikeouts were constantly Kerry Wood’s brand name.
That’s why Wood is among the fantastic what-might- have-been stories of current baseballhistory His capacity was on full show that day in 1998 as he slaughtered Astros players with ease and provided baseball fans visions of an all-time fantastic. That’s still where my mind goes whenever I hear Wood’s name — and I didn’t even view the game.
However even if a gamer is remembered most for one day of success, that time be punched out 20 is about as fantastic as it gets.