Save the Children International said it has decided to suspend its operations in the unstable state of Kayah in Myanmar, after two members of its staff went missing in an attack that killed at least 30 people, including women and children, and burned many bodies.
The organization said in a statement late Saturday evening that the two were returning to their villages in occasion of the end of year holidays when they found themselves in the midst of violence.
“We have confirmed that theirs auto private was attacked and completely burned, “the note added.
On Saturday, opposition groups accused the army of being responsible for the massacre, which took place on Friday near the village of Mo Soo, in the town of Hebroso.
The military wrested power from the civilian government in February.
THE media state officials said the army opened fire and killed an unspecified number of “armed terrorists” from the opposition forces fighting the military government.
On Saturday, a local resident told Reuters they saw 32 bodies, while Save the Children said at least 38 people had been killed.
The London-based charity added that it has suspended operations in Kayah, parts of neighboring Karen state and the Magway region.
Myanmar is in turmoil since February 1, when the military kicked out the Nobel Prize winner pace democratically elected Aung San Suu Kyi, who was sentenced to four years in prison and faces other criminal proceedings.
The Association for Aid to Political Prisoners says at least 1,375 people have been killed and more than 8,000 imprisoned as part of the crackdown on protesters and the armed opposition after the military coup.
The military government denies these numbers and says that soldiers were also killed in the clashes.
Read More About: World News