Ronaldo leaves Manchester United after criticism of club

MANCHESTER: Manchester United announced today on Tuesday that striker Cristiano Ronaldo will be leaving the club immediately following a bitter second spell at Old Trafford after claiming he felt betrayed by club. “Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Manchester United with immediate effect, by mutual consent,” United said in a note. The club would like to thank Ronaldo for his huge contribution during his two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wish him and his family well in the future.” An inspiring interview with reporter Piers Morgan on Talk TV this month, in which Ronaldo also said he did not respect coach Eric ten Hag, caused great tension in his relationship with the clubwhich he joined in August 2021 having won eight major titles with 2003 to 2009. United said last week they would only deal with Ronaldo’s statements once they confirmed all the facts and then added they had taken “appropriate measures” in reply. “Everyone at United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Ten Hag and working together to achieve success in field,” added today the club in a note. Ten Hag said last month that Ronaldo had refused to come on as a substitute against rivals Tottenham Hotspur when the striker entered the tunnel with minutes left after being put on in Park bench. The 37-year-old was not in the squad that faced Chelsea the following Saturday before returning in squad. Ronaldo in he later said he regretted leaving early against Tottenham but added that his decision to withdraw came because he felt “provoked” by Ten Hag. Ronaldo said on Tuesday in a statement that he loves the club and the fans. “That will never change,” she added. “However, this seems like the right time to look for a new challenge. I wish the team every success for the rest of the season and for the future.” (Reuters)