Russia’s “RIA Novosti” news agency quoted Sergei Ryabkov, Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister, as saying on Friday that his country’s suspension of its participation in the New START treaty to limit the spread of nuclear weapons with the United States will not affect its ability to ensure national security.
Ryabkov also confirmed that Russia and the United States are still in contact on the New START treaty even if Moscow has suspended its participation in the agreement.
Ryabkov said he didn’t expect much progress from the contact between Moscow and Washington.
The treaty, signed in 2010, limits the number of strategic nuclear warheads each side can deploy.
Last month, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Moscow’s suspension from the treaty, accusing the United States of trying to inflict a “strategic defeat” on Russia in Ukraine.
In another context, Ryabkov said his country is open to discussing ways to normalize relations and facilitate the work of diplomatic institutions in the two countries with the United States.
He added: “If necessary, contacts will continue with the American side… We are open to discussing a scenario on how to normalize the work of diplomatic institutions between the two countries.”
Interestingly, the working situation of the Russian and American foreign missions has become more complicated in recent years, as there are “serial expulsions” of diplomats in embassies.
You must log in to post a comment.