Separatists threaten to turn upcoming elections in a referendum

A major blow to supporters of Scotland’s independence from the United Kingdom was delivered by the Supreme Court on Wednesday. A blow to the heart of the secessionist aspirations of the Scottish National Party, which has governed the country since the victory of the 2007 elections.

The court ruled that the Scottish Parliament had no power to legislate a new independence referendum without the consent of the UK government.

The Chief Justice, Lord Reid, rejected arguments by the Scottish authorities that the referendum was irrelevant to the British Parliament.

Explaining the positive reasons, Reid confirmed that Scottish law attributes limited powers to the country’s parliament, and that it has no power to legislate on matters reserved to the United Kingdom parliament.

The Supreme Court heard legal requests from the British and Scottish governments during a two-day hearing in London last month after Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon planned to hold a new referendum on October 19 next year.

The Scottish National Party was quick to respond to the decision, arguing that its call for a second independence referendum stems mainly from Britain’s exit from the European Union, which occurred after the first referendum in 2014, and contradicts the will of the Scots, who voted the majority against Brexit.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has gone too far with the escalation. While confirming that he respects the decision despite his disappointment with the Supreme Court, he stressed that he will turn the next general election after two years in a referendum – de facto, with the aim of putting pressure on the British authorities to agree to a second referendum. He has also asked his party to launch a mobilization campaign in defense of Scottish democracy.

In a tone of defiance of central government, Sturgeon stressed that the law which does not allow Scotland to choose its future without the consent of the UK government debunks the myth that the UK is a voluntary union and provides a argument for independence, as she put it.

The British government’s response came in Sunak’s words during the weekly impeachment session in the House of Commons. After SNP leader Ian Blackford put in doubting the UK’s voluntary framework, Sunak responded by saying he respected the clear and final decision of the Supreme Court.

Sunak, who appeared pleased with the decision as a political outcome for his government, stressed that the Scots want to address the main challenges facing the UK, both economically and in terms of support to the NHS and Ukraine. He stressed that now is the time for politicians to work together.

However, Sunak’s response again prompted a vicious attack from Blackford, who accused Sunak of being a head of government without a popular mandate and could not deny Scottish democracy.

Britain’s opposition Labor Party has ruled out any deal with the Scottish National Party after the upcoming general election to win party support to form a government in change to permit a second independence referendum. The party claimed that these words were spoken by the party’s political opponents to tarnish its image.

The first Scottish independence referendum was held in September 2014, when Scots voted 55% in favor of remaining in the UK, while 45% voted in favor of independence.

Finally, it should be noted that the Scottish Parliament was established in 1998 by the then Labor government, which drafted what it called “Scots law”, which provided for the transfer of certain powers from the British Parliament to the Scottish Parliament.

Read More About: World News