South African Police Minister Becky Seely said, according to Agence France-Presse on Saturday, that three of the approximately 20 suspects have so far been arrested in the wake of the attack, which took place Thursday on the outskirts of Krugersdorp, west of Johannesburg.
He told reporters that the gang attacked the work team, while its members were preparing the equipment and preparing the decoration to begin filming.
He stressed that the young women attacked were aged between 18 and 35, noting that one of them was raped by 10 men, while another was raped by 8 men.
The men of the work team were also attacked, stripped of their clothes and their belongings.
“It seems that the suspects are foreigners, in especially illegal miners, “Selye told reporters on the sidelines of a political conference in Johannesburg, held by the ruling African National Congress.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa announced at the same conference that he had ordered the police minister to “secure the arrest of the perpetrators of this crime”.
In mediaSouth African police receive a rape report every 12 minutes.
Despite this high number, many cases of rape in the country go unreported.