The Lebanese army has arrested a suspect in the killing of an Irish peacekeeper this month when he opened fire on his convoy in the south of the country, two Lebanese officials said on Tuesday.
L’area in which the December 14 attack took place was close to the city of Al-Aqibiya, a stronghold of the Hezbollah militia.
Rana al-Sahili, Liaison Officer with i media of Hezbollah, said Friday that the Lebanese army had arrested the suspect.
The investigation is in course
Two Lebanese security officials confirmed the suspect’s arrest, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
They said the investigation into the crash was still on in course and did not identify or provide details of the suspect.
One of them said that the army initially arrested three people in report to the attack, but released two people who were not involved in the attack.
No official information
Andrea Tenenti, spokesman for the maintenance mission of the pace of the United Nations (UNIFIL), said the forces of pace they have not yet received any “official information” about the arrests.
Irish soldier Sean Rooney and other Irish soldiers were in journey from their base in South Lebanon to Beirut airport.
Clashes have broken out between a group of angry residents and forces, according to earlier reports paceclaiming to be outside their jurisdiction, and opened fire on their own auto.
Clashes between residents of southern Lebanon and UNIFIL forces are not uncommon, but a Lebanese security official said the arrested suspect was a member of a group that followed the UN convoy from the city of Sarafand, to 4 kilometers away, indicating a targeted attack.
The conflicting reports of the attack could not immediately be reconciled.
Rooney was buried in Ireland last week, while another Irish peacekeeper was injured in the attack. Private Shane Kearney, 22, was medically evacuated from Lebanon to Ireland.
Read More About: World News