Bruce Arians insisted his Buccaneers could win with a general besides Jameis Winston amid doubts about the general’s future.
Winston became the first NFL player to play for at least 30 touchdowns and 30 interceptions in a season as Tampa Bay completed its 28-22 overtime campaign for the Falcons on Sunday.
Atlanta won the game in a Winston pick-six pick – the NFL record of last year’s seventh pick-six.
“We have some very important free agents that I think want to be here and we will have a lot of long and tough discussions this week … and we will see what we can iron out because I want to maintain that defense.”
: HC Bruce Arians pic.twitter.com/MMGID3jjmC
– Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@Buccaneers) December 30, 2019
“(If) we can win with this, we can certainly win with another,” Arians told reporters Monday. “We will have this defense.”
The Buccaneers used No. 1 in the 2015 draft to pick Winston, but the 25-year-old, who became the eighth general in the league’s history to throw for 5,000 yards in a season, fought in 2019.
As the Buccaneers prepare to evaluate their season, the Arians have said it will take time to review Winston’s place in the squad.
“It will be a little while,” Arians said. “I would like to think that in a few weeks we will have a decision on how we want to run, we will leave it out, maybe not because you are losing your strength in this one.
“Well, free service, what’s available,” Arians added. “What’s behind door No. 2? That’s the first question, then, as you evaluate the design, that’s another question. Is it better than you have?
TagsToTranslate American Football