The United Nations envoy calls for an end to the violence in Yemen and the beginning of a global political process

Sunday, the United Nations envoy in Yemen, Hans Grundberg, stressed the importance of ending the violence in Yemen and entering in a comprehensive political process that ends war and human suffering and restores security and stability in Yemen and the region.

This took place during telephone conversations with Yemeni Foreign Minister Ahmed bin Mubarak, to discuss the tragic situation in the Abdiya district of Marib governorate, whose residents are subject to war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by Houthi militias. , according to the official Yemeni news agency.

The Yemeni foreign minister stressed that the Houthi militia is committing crimes of revenge against civilians and wounded, calling on the United Nations and the international community to be alert to pace to assume their responsibilities and to take urgent action to end these crimes and save civilians.

The United Nations envoy calls for an end to the violence in Yemen and the beginning of a global political process
Yemeni foreign minister Ahmed bin Mubarak (archive – AFP)

He also pointed out that the Houthi militia does not have the war decision either pace, calling on the international community to find real and effective means of lobbying to force the Houthis to stop the violence and enter in a serious and real process of pace to end the suffering of the Yemeni people.

Despite the volume of rumors and warnings from Yemeni officials and local and international organizations of the consequences of the Houthis-imposed siege of the Abdiya areas, the militia ignored these appeals and went to control the district after the siege for four consecutive weeks.

On Saturday, the United States called on the Iranian-allied Houthi militia to stop its attack on Marib and to “listen to urgent appeals from all parts of Yemen and the international community to end the conflict and support the process. from pace global led by the United Nations ”.

Washington condemned the escalation of the Houthis around the city of Marib, “showing a flagrant disregard for the safety of civilians.”

The statement released by the US State Department states that the Houthis “hinder the movement of people and humanitarian aid and prevent basic services from reaching the 35,000 residents of the Abdiya district.”

International food aid to Yemen (archive)
International food aid to Yemen (archive)

UN Aid Officials: Siege of Houthi prevents Abdiya’s help

On Sunday, UN officials and aid workers told The Associated Press that the Houthis continued their weeks-long siege of Abdiya district in central Ma’rib province, cutting humanitarian aid and suspending the movement of its 37,000 residents.

Ma’rib governor, Sheikh Sultan al-Aradah, said the Houthis are “committing genocide” in Abdiya by preventing food, medicine and other basic necessities from reaching the country.area.

The attack on Abdiya is part of the Houthis’ attack to take over the government-controlled city of Marib, which the Houthis have been trying to control for years.

The Houthis stepped up their assault on the city in February. Thousands of fighters, most of them Houthis, were killed in clashes and air strikes in the vicinity of the city of Ma’rib. Among those killed in the battles were children recruited by the Houthis, according to the US agency.

And “Associated Press” continued: “Dozens of civilians, including women and children as young as two, were killed in the Houthi attacks on the city of Marib, in which are used ballistic missiles and drones loaded with explosives “.

A Yemeni girl was injured by a Houthi bombing in Marib (archive)
A Yemeni girl was injured by the Houthi bombings in Marib (archive)

The Houthis are trying to wrest the energy-rich Marib from the government. So far they have defied repeated international calls for a nationwide ceasefire and commitment in negotiations to resolve the conflict.

Two United Nations aid workers told The Associated Press that the Houthis had prevented humanitarian aid from reaching thearea and restricted the movement of citizens there for about three weeks.

They added that thousands of people have been displaced due to indiscriminate bombing and missile attacks on residential buildings and infrastructure in Abdiya.

The two aid workers, who spoke in conditions of anonymity, they said that the blockade also prevented the transport of wounded and other sick people out of thearea.

The humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders also said that, on Friday, a ballistic missile hit Ali Abdul-Mughni hospital, the main health facility in Abdiya that provides urgent medical care to the local population.

Read More About: World News

Leave a Reply