The United Nations said the sponsored truce in Yemen represents a vital opportunity for humanitarian agencies to expand their life-saving assistance, but it has been so frustrated by the lack of funding that it has been forced to cut or close its main programs in the country by two-thirds.
A statement issued by the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen (OCHA) said the response remains severely underfunded, leaving relief agencies with limited resources in one moment in which two thirds of the main United Nations programs in Yemen have had to downsize or close their businesses due to lack of funds.
He added that the escalation of the conflict last year led to untold suffering and further disruptions to public services, pushing humanitarian needs to a higher level.
The collapse of the economy, another product of the seven-year war, has also exacerbated the vulnerabilities of the poorest people, as “19 million people are projected to need food assistance in the second half of 2022,” according to the statement.
An estimated 161,000 people face “the most extreme form of hunger,” a statement said. 2.2 million children suffer from acute malnutrition, including more than half a million children suffering from “critical levels” of malnutrition. He stressed that limited access to vital services continues to exacerbate the conditions of the most vulnerable groups, including women and children.
“The worsening of the humanitarian crisis in Yemen is a reality that we need to address urgently, “said David Grisley, humanitarian coordinator for Yemen.
He explained: “The numbers of questyear are shocking. More than 23 million people – or nearly three quarters of Yemen’s population – are in need of assistance now, an increase of nearly three million people compared to 2021. Nearly 13 million people are already facing acute levels of need. “
Grisley urged all donors to fully fund the UN appeal and to commit to a rapid disbursement of funds.
“For relief agencies to step up their efforts immediately, it depends on adequate funding from donors. Otherwise, the relief operation will collapse despite the positive momentum we are seeing in Yemen today,” he added.
“The response operation is still severely underfunded, leaving relief agencies with limited resources,” he stressed.
He viewed the truce, which is entering its fifth week, as a “time of hope for Yemen,” saying it is “a vital opportunity to broaden the reach of assistance and reach more people who need it most, too. in areas that have been restricted access due to armed conflict and insecurity “.
Interestingly, donors have committed, in a high-level fundraising event for Yemen held on March 1, providing $ 1.3 billion, which constitutes only 30% of the total humanitarian response plan needs for 2022.
Read More About: World News