UEFA vigorously represses racist abuse online

LONDON: European football organization UEFA said on Sunday it has launched a program to combat racist abuse of players online collaborating with the companies of social media to remove offensive content and raise awareness of the impact of such abuse. UEFA explained that the program will be launched during the European Women’s Football Championships, which will be held from 6 to 31 July, and that it will “follow up, report and deal with” cases of abuse. online. England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were subjected to racist abuse on the internet after missing penalty kicks during the final match against Italy in last year’s European Championship. A report released by the International Football Association (FIFA) last month revealed that more than half of the players in the European Championships and the African Cup last year were subjected to racist abuse via the internet. “The Respect program aims to take concrete measures to address abusive behavior and discrimination online during all final competitions, including youth, women’s and men’s league finals, over the next three years, “said UEFA in a note. “To ensure that this offensive content is removed, UEFA is collaborating directly with leading platforms of social media such as Twitter, Meta (Instagram and Facebook) and Tik Tok, “added the statement. (Reuters)