On Thursday, the Russian military continues to target the positions of Ukrainian military forces and infrastructure and to move forward with the liberation of the Donbass lands, as part of its own operation. in Ukraine, while Kiev receives material and military support from Western powers.
In the latest developments, the governor of the Lugansk region, Sergey Gaidai, confirmed on the Telegram application that about ten thousand civilians are still present in Severodonetsk, the main city of Donbass, which the Russians have been trying to control for weeks.
The city, which is under constant bombardment, had a population of 100,000 before the Russian military operation began on February 24, and the three bridges connecting it to the nearby city of Lyschansk were destroyed.
Since the start of their operation in Kiev, Russian forces and pro-Moscow separatists who have controlled part of this industrial zone since 2014 have set themselves the goal of controlling the entire Donbass.
The fighting has been concentrated for days in Lysechantsk and Severodonetsk, two large cities of Donbass.
Ukrainian authorities admitted in recent days that their forces had been expelled from the center of the city of Severodonetsk and had only “complex communication channels” with them after the destruction of all bridges to Lysekhansk.
“Severdonetsk is a strategic component of our defense system in the Lugansk region,” the commander of the Ukrainian forces said Wednesday evening, stressing that “the city cannot be considered otherwise”.
Ukrainian forces are holed up, especially in the Azot chemical factory, which is one of the symbols of the city, which had about 100,000 inhabitants before the war. Severodonetsk Mayor Oleksandr Stryuk said more than 500 civilians were holed up inside the building.
Moscow proposed on Tuesday to create a “humanitarian corridor” to allow the evacuation of these civilians to Russian-controlled areas, but Kiev did not confirm this.
On Wednesday, Russia accused Kiev forces of preventing the operation.
For its part, the United Nations has expressed concern about the consequences of the food crisis resulting from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, warned that if the world fails to stop this crisis, the number record of displaced people, which has reached 100 million people, would be inflated by “a large number of people”.
Read More About: World News