UN: war in Ukraine killed 3,000 civilians

The United Nations Human Rights Office said Monday that the number of civilians died in Ukraine since the beginning of the war in February has exceeded 3,000.

The death toll of 3,153 people so far represents an increase of 254 from the toll announced on Friday.

The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights said real losses are likely to be much higher, citing difficulties in documenting cases.

The Commission said most of the victims were killed by large-impact explosive weapons, such as missile and air strikes, without blaming either party.

This comes when the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees today said that more than 5.5 million people have fled Ukraine since the start of the war on 24 February.

The commission said the statistics were compiled from various sources, in in particular from the data provided by the authorities at the official border crossing points

Transfer of Russian battalions from Mariupol to the east

In another context, the Ukrainian army announced today that Moscow has redeployed some of its forces from the port of Mariupol to join the Russian offensive in eastern Ukraine.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces General Staff said today that a number of Russian battalions were sent from Mariupol to the city of Popasna in Lugansk in the east of the country.
Popasna was one of the hotbeds of fighting in eastern Ukraine, where the Russian army tried to breach Ukrainian defenses in an attempt to encircle Ukrainian forces to the east.

The Ukrainian general staff added that the Russians were also trying to escalate their attacks from Izyum to the cities of Sloviansk and Parvenkov.

For his part, Ukrainian military analyst Oleh Zhdanov told The Associated Press that the redeployment of forces from Mariupol to the front line in the east “reflects the lack of gains there.”

Read More About: World News