Travis Knight, director and former rapper, is the latest figure in the industry to withdraw from Sony’s film adaptation of the hugely popular video game series Uncharted with Tom Holland. The deadline indicates that planning issues resulted in Knight’s exit.
It seems that Holland is still attached to the project, as a younger version of the main hero, Nathan Drake, in addition to Mark Wahlberg, who will play Sully. The film is slated to be released on December 18, 2020, but it is unclear whether the change of director will result in a later release.
In addition to playing in Uncharted, Holland will also appear in the next film Spider-Man, which will be released on July 16, 2021. Previously, Knight was seated in the chair of the director of the Transformers spin-off, Bumblebee.
He will be the sixth director to withdraw from the Uncharted project since 2011, when Dan Trachtenberg abandoned it in August. In addition to Knight, Neil Burger, David O. Russell, Seth Gordon and Shawn Levy have all left the project.
Fans of Uncharted, created by Naughty Dog, follows Nathan Drake as he explores ancient civilizations and ruins to find relics, encountering challenges along the way, similar to Harrison Ford’s Indiana Jones.
As previously reported, Tom joined Uncharted in 2017 and was set to play the role of a younger version of the protagonist. While Knight’s release from the series has been explained as a scheduling conflict, social media users have cited possible issues on the set as the real reason.
In addition, some have pointed to Knight’s busy schedule. Originally, Knight took his first steps in the entertainment world as a rapper, under the name of “Chilly Tee”. Knight recorded a demo of five songs which, to this day, says Shocklee is still current.
MCA President Bernie Singleton became interested in the demo and then passed it on to Hank Shocklee, who agreed to produce his first album with The Bomb Squad. Shocklee said in previous interviews that the disc came out of the blue, one of the reasons why it never grew.