Victims of a massive scam led by famed investor Bernard Madoff are getting their first government payments since the man died behind bars five months ago, with a fund set up years ago preparing to send $ 568 million in salaries.
About 31,000 investors in around the world will soon receive payments from government deals with some of Madoff’s oldest clients and his bank, JPMorgan Chase, the U.S. Department of Justice said Thursday. in a note.
The Justice Department, which created the fund, indicated that this amount would increase its total payments to more than $ 3.7 billion.
“This office continues to pursue justice for the victims of the largest Ponzi scheme in history,” said Audrey Strauss, the US attorney in Manhattan.
The US fund is separated from the repayment process supervised by the trustee, Irving Pickard, at the Federal Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan. It has fetched over $ 14.5 billion so far in litigation against customers who took advantage of the scam, most of which have already been returned to the victims.
Bernard Madoff, the mastermind of the giant Ponzi scheme, has died at the age of 82.
Read More About: Business News