Article with HTML Headings
More Wagner troops enter Belarus
More Wagner troops have entered in Belarus on Monday, a monitoring team revealed, as they continue to move into the former Soviet republic after a short-lived insurgency last month against the Russian military.
Convoy of Wagner forces spotted
Belarusian Hagon, a Belarusian activist group that monitors troop movements in Belarus, said a convoy of about 20 vehicles with Russian flags and Wagner insignia entered the country on Monday, headed for a camp where Belarusian authorities had offered to host them.
He also added that it is the third convoy of Wagner mercenaries to enter the country since last week, according to the Associated Press.
President Lukashenko supports the mercenaries
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, who brokered a deal that ended last month’s rebellion by Wagner commander Yevgeny Prigozhin, said his country’s military could benefit from the mercenaries’ combat experience.
Training of the Belarusian forces
On Friday, Belarusian state television broadcast a video clip of Wagner forces training the Belarusian regional defense forces in a shooting range in the area of Asipovichi, where the Wagner forces will reside.
The Belarusian Defense Ministry did not say how many Wagner soldiers there are in Belarus. Lukashenko has previously said it is up to Prigozhin and Moscow to decide whether to move in Belarus. While the Kremlin declined to comment.
Previous adventures of Wagner forces
Interestingly, Wagner’s commander announced last June that his forces had suddenly entered Russian territory and headed for the capital, Moscow.
However, after almost 24 hours, Belarus entered the mediation line between Prigozhin and Moscow, so that sudden and short adventure ended with the “exile” of the Wagner leader to the Belarusian lands.
While Putin gave Wagner’s agents a choice between leaving for Belarus, joining the Russian forces, or returning to their homes.