A new update has been released for War Thunder Update 1.97 with Patch Notes. You can find out all the details of the Game Update, Bug Fixes, improvements, and Patch Notes below. The War Thunder Update 1.97 Patch Notes are now available for download, for all platforms, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PC. The file size may vary depending on the platform.
- Selecting of the game client has been added: minimal — has a number of limitations, designed to get acquainted with the game at resolutions less than 1080p; standard — to play at resolutions of 1080p and higher. Also additional ultra HQ textures for playing at 1440/2140p for ground vehicles and environments, aircraft and all models and environments in the game have been added.
- New surface rendering with significant improvements in the appearance of the ground and other objects in the game environment has been added.
- Thick smoke now casts a shadow.
- Variety in the visual effects of explosions and large shell hits has been added.
- New visual effect of dust, grass and leaves being lifted when ground vehicles shoot has been added.
- New effect of dust blown off ground vehicles when shooting has been added.
- Impulse from shots and explosions now affect nearby trees and vegetation: now they will be realistically deflected by the impulse and leaves will be blown off.
- Visual effects used in locations have been improved and became more diverse.
- Visual effects by destruction of the objects on locations have been reworked – significant optimization in terms of performance has been done.
- The system of wave generation on water has been changed.
New line of Israel Ground Forces
- Twenty vehicles in the starting lineup, available for testing to everyone who has completed special access tasks or owns one of the Israeli premium ground vehicle packs.
Israel (Closed Beta Tests)
- Magach 1
- Magach 2
- Magach 6
- Magach 6A
- Magach 6B
- Sho’t Kal Alef
- Sho’t Kal Gimel
- Gal Batash
- Tiran 4S
- Zachlam Tager
- Black Night
- ZTZ96A (P)(Pack)
- M3A3 (1st PTG) (Premium)
- Strv 105
Israeli tech tree is available to all players and 11 new and updated vehicles, along with the legendary A-10A Thunderbolt II!
- Israeli tech tree is available to all players
- F-84F IAF (Premium)
- F-104S ASA
- B-26C Marauder
- Mirage F1C
- MiG-21S — cockpit has been updated
8 New and updated vehicles, including brand new Swedish tech tree
- HKP9A (FC)
- Mi-28A (Premium)
- AH-64A Peten
- Ka-52 (detailed cockpit has been added)
- USS Arizona (BB-39)
- Kim Qui (HQ 605)
- Karl Marx (Squadron vehicle)
- MPK Pr.12412P
New locations and missions
- New location for combined battles “Sun city”.
- The mission in location “Smolensk” has been transferred to the updated logic. Mission size has been increased to 128×128 km. We remind you that we are gradually transfering missions from the old logic to the new with each major update. The current list of missions that work with the new logic:
- Afghanistan. Mission size: 128*128
- Smolensk. Mission size: 128*128
- Vietnam. Mission size: 128*128
- Montmedi Sector. Mission size: 64*64
- Sicily. Mission size: 64*64
- Spain. Mission size: 128*128
- Zhengzhou. Mission size: 64*64
- Zhengzhou. Year 46. Mission size: 64*64
- New paths for ground convoys in the missions Afghanistan, Vietnam and Smolensk have been added. Convoys will now have the ability to appear not only at the edges of the map but also at the centre of the mission.
- 3 new missions for the game mode “Helicopter PvE confrontation:
- Missions are smaller in size compared to regular confrontation.
- Players start in the team that controls fewer territories than the opponent. When territories are captured by the player team, new spawn points will appear.
- Helicopter PvE mode will be available at a later date.
Ground Vehicle model, damage model, characteristic and weaponry changes
- Hard-kill active protection systems have been added
- APS Drozd (Т-55AMD-1)
- APS Iron Fist (Black Night)
- APS Trophy-HV(Merkava Mk.4M)
- ST-A3, Type 61 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted (report).
- ST-A3 – a bug with incorrect sight magnification data has been fixed. Magnification values have been fixed from 8-15.9х to 4-8х. (report)
- STB-1, Strv 103 (all), Type 74 (all) – depletion order from ammo stowage has been adjusted.
- Type 74 (all) – vertical targeting speed has been reduced from 4,5 to 4 degrees per second. Source: 制式要綱 ７４式戦車 Ｄ９００２ // 仮式要綱 ７４式戦車(Ｂ) Ｄ９００２Ｂ // 制式要綱 ７４式戦車(Ｅ) Ｄ９００２Ｅ
- Type 74 C/E/F/G, Type 87 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted. Rear speed has been reduced from 14.1 to 7.4 kph. (report)
- Type 87 – vertical targeting speed has been reduced from 90 to 56 degrees per second. (report)
- Type 89 – elevation targeting speed has been reduced from 60 to 24 deg./sec; horizontal – from 60 to 30 deg./sec. ATGM launchers vertical targeting speed has been reduced from 25 to 2 deg./sec. Max elevation angle in launchers has been increased from 12 to 20 degrees. Ammo capacity of the 7.62 MG has been increased from 1,000 to 2,000 rounds. Source: 制式要綱 ８９式装甲戦闘車 Ｄ ８００９ // 制式要綱 ８９式装甲戦闘車(B) Ｄ ８００９B
- Type 89 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted. report
- Begleitpanzer 57 – stabiliser on the 57mm gun has been added (report). // Ammo capacity has been increased from 96 to 148 rounds. (report) // Parameters of the AP rounds have been adjusted. Explosive weight in the default AP round has been increased from 75 to 300 grams; overpressure damage added; shell type has been changed to SAP; armour penetration values have been decreased correspondingly. (report)
- M60A1 (all), M60, M60A2, M60A3 TTS (all), M247, Strv 104, Olifant Mk.1a, M47 (105), CM11 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted. Source: TM 9-2520-223-34 & P // TM-5-5420-202-20-1 // TM 9-2350-257-20-2-3-1.
- Strf 9040C, Strf 9056, Strf 9040B, Lvlv 9040C, CV90120, CV90105 TML – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted (report).
- AMX-30B2 (all) – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted (report).
- Strv m/39 (all), Strv m/40L – a bug has been fixed that caused incorrect behaviour on slopes.
- D2 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted (report).
- AMX-32 – gear control ratios and the number of gears have been adjusted (report).
- MARS 15 – gun elevation angle has been reduced from 18 to 15 degrees (report)
- AMX-13 (FL11), EBR (1951), EBR (1963) – horizontal targeting speed has been reduced from 30 to 26 deg./sec; vertical targeting speed has been reduced from 4.5 to 4 deg./sec (report).
- AMX-13 (FL11), EBR (1951) – sight magnification has been reduced from 7.5х to 5.8х (report).
- Valentine IX (all), Valentine XI – armour of the hull sides has been reduced from 50 to 43 mm. (report)
- Valentine IX (all), Valentine XI – vertical targeting angles have been adjusted from -12/+20 to -8/+17 degrees (report)
- Archer – fire rate has been increased from 10.5 to 12.7 rpm (report).
- AML-90, Eland 90 Mk.7 – sight magnification has been reduced from 6.0х to 5.5х (report).
- Ratel 90 – sight magnification has been increased to 5.5х (report).
- M163 – amphibious ability has been revoked, since the vehicle requires preparation before entering water. Source: TM 9-2350-300-10 – Operator’s Manual (Crew) for Gun, Air Defense Artillery, Self-Propelled, 20-mm, M163
- M4A3(76)W, M4A3(76)W (Japan) – traverse aiming speed has been reduced from 24 to 21 deg./sec. (report).
- Pz.III M, Pz.III N (all), Panther D, Tiger H1, Tiger H1 (Animal Skin), Sd.Kfz.234/2, Pz.IV G (all), StuG III G (Italy) – correct model of the 91mm German smoke grenades have been added.
- The turret on the following ground vehicles have been converted to volumetric armour:
- T-54 (1949)
- Type 59
- Type 69
- T69 II G
Aircraft and helicopter model, damage model, characteristic and weaponry changes
- AP, AP-I, APT-I rounds for machine guns and cannons of calibres over 12.7mm have been transferred to the Jacob de Marre formula for armour penetration
- Ki-49-IIa – the configuration of the turret armament has been corrected from MG15 to Type 89.
- 37mm М10 gun – rate of fire has been adjusted from 163 to 165 rpm (report)
- AN-M30A1 bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 100 to 110 lbs. Source: “United States bombs and fuzes 1944” “OP 1664, US Explosive Ordnance, Volume 2”
- AN-M66A2 bomb- bomb weight has been corrected from 2,000 to 2,196.5 lbs. Source: “OP 1280, Aircraft Bombs” “OP 2216, Aircraft Bombs, Fuzes, and Associated Components”
- AN-M64A1 bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 500 to 535 lbs. Source: “USNBD – US Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics” “OP 1664, US Explosive Ordnance, Volume 2”
- AN-M65 bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 1,000 to 1,104 lbs. Source: “OP 1280, Aircraft Bombs” “OP 2216, Aircraft Bombs, Fuzes, and Associated Components” “TM 9-1325-200, Bombs and Bomb Components”
- AN-M57 bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 250 to 260 lbs. Source: “USNBD – US Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics” “OP 1664, US Explosive Ordnance, Volume 2”
- 1,600 lbs AN-MK 1 — mass of the bomb has been reduced from 1,600 to 1,590 lbs. Explosive mass has been increased from 94.8 to 97.5 kg. Source: “OP 1280, Aircraft Bombs” “OP 2216, Aircraft Bombs, Fuzes, and Associated Components” “TM 9-1325-200, Bombs and Bomb Components”.
- 250 G.P. Mk.IV bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 250 to 230 lbs. Source: “British bombs and fuzes pyrotechnigs detonators USNBD 1944” “OP 1665, British Explosive Ordnance”
- 500 G.P. Mk.IV bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 500 to 470 lbs. Source: “British bombs and fuzes pyrotechnigs detonators USNBD 1944” “OP 1665, British Explosive Ordnance”
- 1000 G.P. Mk.I bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 1,000 to 1,093 lbs. Source: British bombs and fuzes pyrotechnigs detonators USNBD 1944” “OP 1665, British Explosive Ordnance”
- 1000 M.C. Mk.I bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 1,000 to 1,046 lbs. Source: British bombs and fuzes pyrotechnigs detonators USNBD 1944” “OP 1665, British Explosive Ordnance”
- 4000 H.C. Mk.II bomb – bomb weight has been corrected from 4,000 to 3,930 lbs. Source: British bombs and fuzes pyrotechnigs detonators USNBD 1944” “OP 1665, British Explosive Ordnance”
- AIM-9C Sidewinder missile – model of the missile has been fixed (report)
- RedTop missile – explosives weight has been corrected from 31 to 18.1 kg
- Firestreak missile – explosives weight has been corrected from 22,7 to 8,75 kg.
- Su-6(АМ-42), Su-6(М-71F) – armour of the aircraft has been corrected.
- Su-22М3 – weapon preset “Kh-29L х2 + Kh-25ML х2 + R-60 х2” has been added
- MiG-23MF, MiG-21-bis-SAU – incorrect naming of the R-60 modification has been corrected to R-60MK.
- A-4 (all versions) – a bug has been fixed in which part of the pylons might remain when the wings are torn off.
- A-7D – test flight has been changed from carrier to airfield.
- S.O.4050 Vautour IIN – a bug has been fixed in which only one pilot was displayed on the aircraft’s info card (report)
- Meteor F.8 – a bug has been fixed in which there was an incorrect modification required for the AR rockets.
- Me 262A-2 – aircraft class has been changed from “fighter” to “strike aircraft”.
- SA 341F – IR mode has been changed to NVD.
- F-5A (China) – RWR modification has been removed. This system is available by default, same as similar aircraft in the previous update. Cost of modification will be refunded to the owners.
- Q-5A – RWR modification has been removed. This system is available by default, same as similar aircraft in the previous update. Cost of modification will be refunded to the owners.
- A-4E Early (M) – ammo capacity of the 30mm DEFA-552 gun has been changed from 100 to 150 rounds per gun.
- F-84F (all versions) – weapon setup “2х 2,000 lbs LDGP Mk84 bomb + 2x 1,000 LDGP Mk83 bomb” has been added.
- F-100D (France) — setup of the 6х 750lbs, 4x 1,000lbs MK83 and 2х Zuni rockets has been added.
- He 111H-16 – SC2500 “Max” bomb has been added.
- A-7D – GBU-8 bomb has been added.
- S.O. 4050 Vautour II (all versions) – bomb setups have been grouped into nations. French Vautours use the ‘lbs’ bombs; Israeli Vautours use domestic bombs.
- BTD -1 – 6×250 lbs bomb setup has been revoked. 1,600 lbs bomb has been added.
- Fiat G.91 R/1 – AA-20 and AS-20 missiles have been added to suspended weaponry.
- F.C.20 Bis – The weight of the explosive mass for the 37mm armour piercing chamber shell has been changed from 230 to 23 gramm.
- Boomerang MkII — setup of the 2x 250lbs bombs has been added.
- MiG-23MLD — a bug has been fixed with missing pylons for the setups “FAB-250-М62 + missile” (R-24R, R-24T, R-23R, R-23T).
- XA-38 — separate bomb drop has been added for the external bombs below the fuselage.
- F-4EJ / EJ Kai Phantom II — gunpod icon has been corrected.
- F-4 Phantom II (all versions) — a bug has been fixed which prevented info on the gunpods in xray mode.
- Significant FPS drop after airborne radar switch on has been fixed.
- Freeze after kill streak aircraft spawn has been fixed.
Flight Model changes
- He 111 (all modifications), Ju 88C-6, Ju 388, FW 200 – Flight model has been updated. Engine operation modes have been clarified (issue with unstable engine rpm has been fixed). Fuel distribution by fuel tanks has been corrected. Wing, fuselage, tail and propeller blade polars have been recalculated and refined. Clarified behaviour when operating mechanisation (e.g. wheels, flaps). Improved behaviour when diving at high angles.
- Ki-43 (all modifications) – Flight model has been updated. Wing, fuselage, tail and propeller blade polars have been recalculated and refined. Clarified behaviour when operating mechanisation (e.g. wheels, flaps). Controllability on mouse aiming control type has been improved.
- F-86E, F-86F, F-86K, Canadair Sabre – Elevator pitch angles and animation have been corrected. Throttle tightness and balancing speed dependencies have been adjusted. Probability of crashes during sharp manoeuvres by using mouse aiming control type has been reduced.
- B-17E, B-17E late, B-17G, TBF-1c – Flight model has been updated. Clarified behaviour when operating mechanisation (e.g. wheels, flaps). Aileron efficiency at low speeds has been reduced. Bomb bay open/close time has been adjusted according to available documentation (10-12 s). Engine shutdown time has been corrected. Thermodynamics has been updated (temperature dependence on altitude and airspeed has been clarified).
- Douglas AD-2 / AD-4 – Flight model has been updated. Aileron efficiency at low speeds has been reduced. Engine shutdown time has been corrected.
Naval fleet model, damage model, characteristic and weaponry changes:
- Fire control system has been added to:
- Radar has been added to:
- RN Eugenio di Savoia
- Shell type changes:
- 200mm Type 88 AP round – from APC to APCBC
- 305mm Mark IIa semi-AP round – from CPC to SAPCBC
- 343mm semi-AP round- from CPC to SAPCBC
Naval characteristics, physics and damage model:
- Anti-torpedo bulges have been fixed. Previously, they might not work against torpedoes with fewer explosives than what they were designed for.
- Hull break parameters of destroyers and cruisers have been adjusted for torpedo hits in the centre of a ship. Destroyers could be insta-killed by torpedoes with the explosives weight over 300 kg. Torpedoes with over 500 kg of explosives are able to hull break destroyers by hitting at almost any part. Light cruisers can have their hull broken by torpedoes of over 500 kg of explosives when hit in the middle of a ship. Ammo stowages can also be blown up by torpedo hits.
- In Arcade battles, parameters of the torpedo dive before it hits a battleship or heavy cruiser. Previously, a torpedo may lack a depth, and it might hit the armour belt, especially when a ship motions on waves.
- Reload time penalty has been disabled in the AB, when an ammo elevator is damaged or destroyed.
- All naval guns have had their shell dispersion ellipse adjusted. Based on historical materials that were used to fix the ballistics of shells in the previous update (the list was published in the notes for update “Winged Lions”), we recalculated the size of the shell dispersion ellipses in a salvo. The size of the ellipse has been significantly reduced, allowing you to hit a target at a greater distance more often.
- Armour belts and vertical armoring of battleships have been separated into destructible plates. Armour belt plates and internal vertical longitudinal armour in battleships can now be destroyed by kinetic and explosive damage. For example, to destroy a 350 mm armour plate, 2-4 direct hits with a 305 mm armour-piercing projectile will be required. The lower the kinetic energy of the projectile, the less damage it can cause to the armour plate. Projectiles with relatively low energy are not able to destroy the armour plate. After destruction, the armour plate will be considered destroyed and passes the shock wave and some of the fragments behind, and can also pass the armour-piercing projectile, which will nearly not lose its penetrating capability.
- The flooding mechanics have been reworked for all ships. The capacity of the drainage pumps is now evenly distributed over the entire vessel. The time of pumping water depends entirely on the serviceability of the pumps and the amount of water in the interior of the ship. In general, the pumping time of one compartment has been reduced, and the pumping of several compartments at the same time has become more levelled.
- Crew compartments have been redistributed on all bigger ships, the crew has also been distributed among all compartments and modules in such a way that most of it is concentrated in the bridge (or in the area of the conditional bridge). The smallest amount is located at the extremities. And sometimes they don’t exist at all.
- Positions of the plot rooms have been corrected on RN Eugenio di Savoia, Kerch, and US cruisers and battleships.
- Positions of modules and armour have been corrected for SGB Grey Goose and SGB Grey fox.
- Size of fuel tanks has been corrected for the Т31 and Т22 destroyers, in accordance to the blueprints.
- Position of the ammo stowages of the main calibre guns has been corrected in accordance to the blueprints:
- HMS Calpe
- HMS Brissenden
- USS Helena
- Armoring has been adjusted in accordance to the blueprints:
- USS Wyoming
- USS North Dakota
- USS Pensacola
- USS Northampton
- USS Portland
- Admiral Graf Spee – armour has been adjusted. Central part of the armour belt: 100mm=>80mm. (Source: RM 25/7020 RM 25/7270 RM 25/7232)
Naval Visual models and visual parts:
- All ships with cannon artillery now feature uneven salvo mechanics. Previously, all guns and turrets fired simultaneous salvoes. Now, there is an interval between shots fired from different guns and turrets on a ship. The interval duration depends on conditional excellence of the fire control systems: the older the ship, the longer the interval between shots in a salvo. For example, a salvo of casemate guns located on the battery deck, in single casemates or grouped in platoons, is able to fire only by command of the first crew member, has the longest interval between shots. Post-war automatic and semi-automatic guns with remote fire control will fire simultaneously, as before. The sequence of shots in a salvo is random each time. The new mechanics are designed to diversify the visuals of the game.
- USS Raleigh – AA guns have been changed to comply with the layout of the year 1942.
- Flags animation has been corrected:
- USS Barker
- USS Welborn C Wood
- USS Raleigh
- SMS Westfalen
- HMS Kent
- RM Eugenio Di Savoia – shields on 20mm AA guns have been removed.
- USS Aylwin – draught has been adjusted
- HMS Kelvin: Type 291 radar removed in accordance with the equipment of the ship in 1939.
- Flusi 1 has been renamed to Krischan der Große
- Tashkent – a bug with the display of the stern rangefinder has been fixed.
Economy and research
- The timer for switching the battle trophies with vehicles in the item store to the new ones has been added. The switch will take place at 12:00 GMT on the 10th of April.
- Premium vehicles Sho’t Kal Dalet (Britain), Magach 3 (USA) and AH-64A Peten (USA) have been withdrawn from sale.
- Sets of Israeli decals for aircraft and decorations for ground vehicles, available for completing tasks and purchasing for GE, have been added.
- Profile icons ‘modern tankmen’ have been enabled.
- New decals for repair assistance and fire extinguishment assistance have been added.
- T-64B, ZSU-23-4 – new late single tone camo has been added, available for completing tasks and purchasing for GE. Terms of obtaining other camos have been recalculated.
- Set of Israeli medals has been added.
- Resolution of icons in the modification window, suspended weaponry and icons in the quick access panel (shells, artillery call, scouting, smoke grenades etc) have been improved.
- Fire extinguishment assistance is now available for all allies (previously was available for squad mates and light tanks only).
- Repair assistance is now available for all allies (previously was available for squad mates and light tanks only). Squad mates and light tanks accelerate the repair x3, other types of allied vehicles – x2.
- Ships now provide repair assistance automatically, instead of by holding a button, since the assistance does not impose any restrictions on them, unlike ground vehicles.
- A tooltip has been added with a suggestion to thank an ally after successfully helping to repair or extinguish a fire by pressing the “Radio message to the team” button once. When you press the button, a “Thank you!” radio message will be sent to the team chat.
- A tooltip has been added with a suggestion to apologize to the allies after the destruction of a member of their team by pressing the “Radio message to the team” button once. When you press the button, a radio message “Sorry!” will be sent to the team chat.
- Manual target designation has been added for radars. 2 control axes are used to move the designation cue. This designation method can be used instead of target cycling.
Changes specific to the PlayStation®5.
- Ultra-high definition textures presets have been added as DLC: for ground vehicles and environments, aircraft and all models and environments in the game. DLC will be available in one of the upcoming server updates.
Changes specific to the Xbox Series X.
- Ultra-high definition textures presets have been added as DLC: for ground vehicles and environments, aircraft and all models and environments in the game.
Source: War Thunder